Automatic porch lights are really handy. If you are returning home late, they can help you see the path to your front door. They also allow you to see anyone who is approaching your property when it is dark. Porch lights act as deterrents for burglars.
Ultimately, they make you feel safe and secure in your own home, which is one of the best feelings you can have.
However, if you leave them on too long, porch lights can waste electricity. While this might not seem like a big problem, the amount of electricity wasted can add up. Not only this, but they may irritate your neighbors if left on all night.
The solution to these problems comes in the form of automatic porch light timers. These timers allow you to choose what time you want your porch light to be on or off.
They also remove the stress of having to do this manually, making your life much easier. This means you will never again accidentally forget to turn off your porch lights.
When it comes to automatic porch light timers, it may be hard to find the one that is right for you. This guide will help you find the best product for your needs.
myTouchSmart 24-Hour In-Wall Digital Timer
This nifty device can be used to schedule both indoor and outdoor lighting, fans, and exhaust fans. Saving you time and money, this porch light timer is really useful and flexible.
With a timer system that is simple to use, this device is hassle-free. This timer uses blue LED lights to indicate which programs are active. The 24-hour system can be used throughout the day and night, saving you energy and frustration.
- Compatible with a number of bulbs – this timer can be used with several bulbs, including CFL, LED, Halogen and Incandescent. This will give you a variety of lighting options depending on your tastes.
- Backup battery – even in the event of a power outage or blackout, this system will be able to maintain your settings thanks to a backup battery.
- In-wall installation – this wall control is easy to use and install. You can set your lights and fans to fit your schedule. Also, if you want to manually alter the times, you can use an override function.
- Lights and fans – this device is not just limited to porch lights, but can also be used for fans. This makes it a versatile product with multiple uses.
- Requires wall plate – the wall plate, which is needed for installation, is not included with the timer.
- Cost – this is on the higher end of the cost range for automatic porch light timers. This item will, therefore, be better for those who are shopping with a higher budget.
Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch
With the ability to schedule what time your porch lights and motors turn on and off, the Honeywell Home timer makes this task much easier.
Giving you complete control over your outdoor lighting, this timer is designed to save you time and money. It also features a blacklist screen, which you will be able to see at night if you need to alter the light settings.
- Multiple Modes – this device has different modes, which can be used depending on your needs.
- Easy to install
- Smooth design – designed with a neutral style that will blend into practically any home, this porch light timer is far from an eyesore on your wall.
- Updates – helpfully, this timer will update automatically to daylight saving time, ensuring that your lights are always on at the correct time.
- Random mode – this mode will turn on and off while you are away from the home. Imitating a busy household, this mode acts as a way of defending your home from burglary. This can make you feel relaxed when you are away from home, secure in the knowledge that your house is protected.
- Requires a neutral wire – this porch light timer can only be installed if there is a neutral wire in the electrical box. Thus, it may not be suitable for all customers.
BN-LINK 7 Day Outdoor Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer
Unlike the previous items on this list, this BN-LINK product is designed to be used both indoors and outdoors.
This means that if you want to keep your walls the way they are, this product can instead be fitted outside. This timer is also highly versatile, with the ability to control lights, fans, and pumps.
- Weatherproof – the BN-LINK automatic timer is designed to be sturdy and waterproof. As a result, it can be used both indoors and outdoors depending on your preference.
- Long-lasting backup battery – this product comes with the option of a backup battery. This will ensure that your automatic lights still work even when there is a power outage.
- 8 programs – with 8 different settings, this timer is extremely multipurpose.
- Heavy-duty material – constructed from a durable material, this timer is long-lasting and sturdy.
- Requires an AA battery – to install the backup battery, this timer requires an AA battery that is not included with the product. For some, this may add to the hassle of installation.
ECOPlugs Outdoor Light Timer Remote Control
This automatic porch light timer from ECOPlugs helps you to control your outdoor lights and pool plugs. Controlled by remote control, this timer is super easy to navigate and program.
With an emphasis on Christmas lights, this product is great for the holiday season. In a more striking green color, this may not be the best choice for some.
Yet, it is designed to be kept outside, making it a viable option if this is what you are interested in.
- Waterproof – this timer is constructed to survive even in the rain, meaning it can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Light sensor – with the ability to sense light, this product can be turned off to make sure that you are not wasting money on unnecessary electricity during the day.
- 3 outlets – three different outlets can be controlled from the same timer, making it multi-use.
- Limited settings – compared to other porch light timers, this item has fewer settings than its competitors.
UltraPro Daysmart 7-Day In-Wall Digital Timer Switch
The UltraPro timer is another excellent timer for your outdoor lighting. It has a seven-day cycle that repeats each week, allowing you to decide what times you want your lights to turn on and off for each day.
Compatible with a number of different lights, including LED, CFL, and Halogen, this timer is well rounded.
- Daysmart technology – this technology allows the user to automatically adjust the lighting based on the sunrise and sunset in your location.
- Seven-day cycle – with a week-long cycle, you get consistent control over your lights. Of course, this can be adjusted whenever you desire.
- Convenient door – covered by a handy door, this on-wall timer will not detract too much from your decor. Its appearance is discreet, allowing you to hide your timer. These come in the colors white or light almond.
- Evening and countdown modes – these modes will diversify your routine. The countdown mode will countdown to the time you have already programmed.
- Requires a neutral wire – like the Honeywell timer, this product needs a neutral wire to be installed. It will also need a wall plate, which is not included.
With the products listed above, you might think that you are all set to begin searching for an automatic porch light timer for your home. This guide will have given you a rough knowledge of what features you want to search for.
There are, however, many qualities of an automatic timer that you should think about before committing to a product.
For instance, you will likely want to consider the appearance of your timer. Please think about the features below before you begin your search:
As with many products, the price of automatic porch light timers can vary. Roughly, they can range from about $15 to $35 depending on the brand and quality of the product.
Before beginning your research, it is worth setting yourself a budget to spend on your timer. This will stop you from overspending on this item.
This is particularly important if you are shopping with a very limited budget. At the lower end of the budget, there are still some high-quality items available.
Though these porch light timers tend to be fairly small, they can come in a variety of sizes. Since these timers tend to be attached to walls, it is worth considering how large you want your timer to be.
If you do not want too much wall space to be taken up by the timer, it is perhaps best to search for a smaller product. If you get a timer that can only be installed outside, you will also have to consider the amount of space you have outside.
Convenience Of Installation
Automatic porch light timers should be relatively easy to install. Often packaged with detailed instructions, this should be a straightforward task. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
Some people find the installation process to be more complicated. If you are not particularly skilled when it comes to technology, this might be particularly true.
In addition, some devices require the use of other parts that often do not come with the timer. Consequently, you should consider the convenience of installation to avoid spending time and money.
You should also think about where you want to install your timer. Some require certain wires to work, which will mean they can only be fitted in specific locations.
It is also essential to think about this from an aesthetic point of view, as you do not want to put your wall timer in a place that will not look good.
Ease Of Use
While porch light timers are often fairly straightforward to use, some can be more complex than others. With the added benefit of additional settings and features, these timers can become more complex.
Therefore, you must look into how easy a timer is to use before buying it. To do so, it is recommended that you read the reviews of a product.
While many products will claim that the timer is simple to use, customers may have different experiences.
It is particularly worth considering the complexity of a device if you are not very familiar with porch light timers or if you are not very tech-savvy.
Most timers are designed to look fairly neutral and are frequently white or black. This is so that they can match pretty much any home decor. If you have a very specific style in your home, however, these timers might not work for you.
In addition, some timers come in bolder colors, such as the ECOPlugs product. This green color may not be satisfactory to some. If you want a discreet product, the UltraPro timer, with its door, might be a better option for you.
It is, therefore, worth thinking about whether or not the appearance of an automatic porch light timer will clash with the aesthetic of your home.
Indoor Or Outdoor
Most of the automatic porch light timers on this list are limited to being kept and installed inside. Some can be used outside.
You should think about whether you want to have your timer installed inside or outside. There are positive and negative aspects to both.
For example, while outdoor timers will not require you to give up space on your walls, they will need to be set up outside. This means that if you decide to manually alter the settings, you will have to go outside.
Moreover, it means that they could be interfered with easily by other people. While indoor timers are more convenient to alter, they nonetheless come at the cost of taking up part of your wall.
If you are quite specific on how you want your house to look, you might be better suited to outdoor timers.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Set A Timer On My Outdoor Lights?
This will be very much dependent on which product you buy, as each timer will be different. However, in general terms, you first need to install your device.
Once you have done so, you will likely need to set the timer to the current time. After this, you will need to decide what time you want your lights to turn on and off. Type this into your timer and your system should automatically work.
Can Alexa Turn My Outdoor Lights On And Off?
In short, yes. Alexa can be used to turn on and off outdoor lighting. Using voice commands, Alexa will be able to do this.
This will likely require a more complex setting, however. If you are looking for a more simplistic route, a porch light timer may be a better option.
Can Indoor Timers Be Used For My Outdoor Lights?
Yes. Many of the products on this list are products that are kept indoors that control your outdoor lights.