Playstation 5 made a huge splash in the gaming world as soon as it was released. From the incredible performance to the ergonomic controls, this console has a lot to love.
But when your PS5 keeps randomly turning off, it makes you wonder whether you should have invested your money elsewhere. Whether you prefer to game casually or have been grinding for the newest loot in your favorite game, one poorly-timed shutoff can ruin the experience.
Unfortunately, many Playstation users have reported their console randomly shutting down during gameplay or while it is in Rest Mode. And given how disruptive the glitch is, it’s something that anyone experiencing the error will want to fix as soon as possible.
To help users who are dealing with this issue, we’ve gathered some of the most common ways to fix a PS5 that randomly turns off.
How to Fix a PS5 Randomly Turning Off
There are many ways to fix a PS5 that randomly turns off, including disabling rest mode, updating firmware, and rebuilding the PS5 database.
Depending on your exact situation, the solution might vary. Depending on when your PS5 turns off randomly, you should pick and try a solution that seems the most relevant to your situation.
Here are some of the best tricks to try.
Prevent Your PS5 From Overheating
When your console’s internal temperatures reach specific high points, it may cause your PS5 to shut down to prevent internal component damage. Unfortunately, while the reason behind your PS5 shutting down makes sense, it doesn’t make the occurrence any less frustrating.
Luckily, this issue only takes a few simple steps to address.
- Ensure that your PS5’s vents have proper airflow. Each vent should have a minimum of 10cm of space surrounding it.
- Check that your console isn’t placed on an insulating surface. If your PS5 is set on carpet or fabric, the material will insulate the heat and contribute to frequent overheating. You should ideally place your PS5 on a wooden, metal, tiled, glass, or stone surface.
- Attach the PS5 stand to improve airflow if your console is placed vertically.
- Use compressed air or a handheld vacuum cleaner to remove accumulated dust from the vents.
If your PS5 continues to overheat, you should consider taking the console to a technician so that the internal components can be cleaned and any potential malfunctions can be identified and fixed. The best way to determine if your PS5 is overheating is to listen for an extremely loud fan noise.
Update Your PS5’s Firmware
In certain cases, the cause of a PS5 randomly shutting down can be as simple as the console needing a firmware update. In any case, ensuring that your console is up-to-date won’t harm it.
To update your PS5, just take the following steps:
- Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update and Settings
- After reaching this screen, you should see an “Update System Software” label. Any firmware update available for your console will read “Update available” to the right of the Update System Software label. Click to update your console.
Check That the PS5 Power Cable is Connected Properly
If the power cord to your PS5 is loose, it can cause the console to shut off randomly. Most consoles with this issue don’t seem to have any consistent pattern of when the console shuts down.
Luckily, the problem is easy to resolve. You can address it by reconnecting the power cable and ensuring it’s fully inserted. If the issue persists, you can also try using a different power cable to see if the cable itself was damaged or malfunctioning.
Rebuild Your Playstation 5’s Database
In some cases, you might need to go through the intensive process of rebuilding your PS5’s database if it continues to shut down. This method is particularly worth trying if other fixes don’t seem to make a difference.
While you’ll need to wait a while for the database to rebuild, the process isn’t too complicated.
- Hold the power button on your console for around five seconds until the PS5 enters Safe Mode.
- Connect your PS5 controller using a USB-C cable. Unfortunately, wireless controllers are not supported in Safe Mode.
- Scroll through the options until you find Rebuild Database. Select Rebuild Database, and then click OK.
- From this point onwards, the process of database reconstruction is automated.
Disable Rest Mode
If your PS5 is randomly shutting off when Rest Mode is turned on, the simplest solution to the problem is to disable the setting. You can do this using the following steps in your Playstation 5 settings:
- Settings > System > Power Saving > Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode
- On the Set Time, Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode Screens, you’re given two conditions to adjust Rest Mode for: During Media Playback and While Playing Games. Set both conditions to “Don’t Put In Rest Mode.”
- If you’re concerned and prefer to keep Rest Mode on, you can experiment with the settings to see if a particular configuration resolves (or even sufficiently reduces) the issue. But unfortunately, while many people have asked for a solution from Sony, none has been provided thus far.
Connect Your PS5 Directly to the Power Outlet
If your Playstation 5 is plugged into an extension cord (or surge protector) with many other devices, the devices might pull more electricity than the power socket can provide. To determine if this might be the issue, you can try plugging your PS5 directly into the wall to see if this resolves the shutdown issue.
You can also try plugging your PS5 into a different wall outlet if you’re concerned that your power outlet might be malfunctioning. It’s important to note that, while it isn’t a cure-all, you should still keep your console plugged into a surge protector or install an EMP shield in your home to reduce the risk of damage.
Disable Your PS5’s HDMI Device Link
In certain cases, the HDMI Device Link Setting has been known to cause random console shutdowns. To fix this, you can take the following steps to navigate through and change the settings:
- Settings > System > HDMI
- Select the HDMI Device Link setting and toggle the slider to disable HDMI Device Link.
Place PS5 Horizontally Rather Than Vertically
As discussed above, a stand should be used with a PS5 that is positioned vertically. But if you still think that airflow/overheating may be the culprit, just re-position your PS5 to sit horizontally.
This horizontal position is more advantageous for proper airflow.
DIY Option: Clean Internal Components
*If your Playstation is still under warranty, skip this step. Don’t risk voiding your warranty by disassembling your PS5!
But if your warranty has expired, this is worthy of consideration. The side panels are surprisingly easy to remove from a PS5 . Once the panels have been removed, you can clean the internal components of the Playstation quite easily.
If you have already tried vacuuming or using compressed air on the outside of the PS5, you will be shocked to see how much dust and buildup is remaining on the inside of the device.
Delete Games/Picture to Free Up Storage
Like any other piece of tech, PS5s can get bogged down when running at 100%.
Before giving up on your device, it might be worth deleting games, pictures, and anything else that is occupying storage space on your device. After freeing some space, rebuild the database (as discussed above) and clear the cache.
While this isn’t guaranteed to solve the problem, the system is likely to run quicker and cooler after making these changes.
DIY Option: Replace Power Supply
We won’t spend too much time on this, because the parts are expensive and hard to find, and it is important to properly diagnose the issue first.
This takes some DIY skills that are beyond the scope of what we typically cover, so be sure to do some serious reading and research before considering this route!
What to Do if Nothing is Working
If you’ve tried all of the above solutions, but your PS5 hasn’t stopped shutting down, it may be time to seek expert help. Unfortunately, the lack of a resolution can indicate that your console may be defective, broken, or malfunctioning. But with the help of an expert Playstation technician, you can hopefully be back to gaming in no time!
Contact Sony Customer Support
To reach Sony Customer Support, you can navigate their website’s contact portal. After entering the information about your specific case, the Sony website will provide details on your next steps. Before sending your PS5 in, you should verify that it is still covered under your Playstation warranty.
There’s no doubt that a console randomly shutting down is a frustrating situation. Whether you use your console for occasional recreational gaming or if you’re a dedicated hobbyist, losing your progress due to random shutdowns can quickly ruin all the fun.
But luckily, there are many methods to fix a PS5 that randomly shuts down that you can do right at home — and if our tips don’t work, plenty of Playstation experts are ready and willing to repair your console.
We hope our collection of troubleshooting methods helped you fix your PS5 and get back to gaming!