Are you agitated while listening to your favorite music because of all the wire tangles connecting your audio players to headphones/earbuds?
Probably not, since bluetooth has improved the listening experience by providing wireless technology to users. In addition, Sennheiser headphones and earbuds are among the most reliable and durable audio devices on the market.
Sennheiser headphones and earbuds allow you to connect to all music apps, streaming, cellphones and audio sources and enjoy your listening experience without tangled wires.
However, wireless technology presents its own set of problems — namely, that bluetooth pairing can be more finicky than simply plugging an aux cable into a port.
To enjoy and maximize the full features of Sennheiser, we need to pair them correctly to our own audio devices.
Having said all that, we will now discuss the steps for pairing Sennheiser earbuds and headphones. Whether you are trying to connect your Sennheisers to an iPhone, Android, Macbook. PC, or TV, we’ve got you covered!
General Steps for Pairing Sennheiser Headphones & Earbuds
Regardless of what you are trying to pair to, the steps are quite similar. For the more tech savvy among us, this overview should be enough to get your Sennheisers connected.
- Take both earbuds out of the box or charging case and put them into your ears. You must ensure that the distance between the earbuds and your Bluetooth device is minimal (ideally, no more than a few feet).
- Then, turn on both units (the earbuds and your Bluetooth music device) to start the pairing procedure.
- Press and hold the right and left touch panels (on your earbuds) simultaneously for about 3 to 5 seconds until you hear a beeping sound and the prompt “Pairing.” You will also see that the LED of your earbuds will blink both blue and red. It is an indication that the earbuds are in the process of pairing.
- Then go to your Bluetooth device (cellphone, laptop, computer, Mac, etc.) and search for the new device. The indicator “CX 400BT TW” (or similar code name for your Sennheiser wireless earbuds) should appear on the screen of your Bluetooth device and all other units that have their Bluetooth on. Select the “CX 400BT TW” (or similar) indicator on the screen.
If the system asks for a default pin, type in “0000.”
If the pairing procedure is successful, you will hear a voice prompt that says “Pairing successful”, and the earbuds light will flash blue 3 times.
Reminder: If no connection is established after a minute, it only means that the pairing procedure you have conducted failed. You will see your earbuds will shift to idle mode. In that case, you have to repeat the steps provided above.
How to Pair with IOS & Android Devices
Pairing to your IOS (both the Ipad and iPhone):
- Following the general steps, turn your Sennheiser headphones/earbuds on and set them into pairing mode. Next, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds until you see both the blue and red lights blinking. Then release the power button.
- Then proceed to the settings of your iPhone or Ipad. Go to the Bluetooth settings. Once you are there, turn the Bluetooth On. Your iPhone or Ipad will detect all the Bluetooth devices nearby.
- Select the model name of your Sennheiser earbuds that appears on the screen; usually, it says “CX 400BT TW,” “Momentum TW,” or the model name of your earbuds.
- After selecting the model name of your earbuds and clicking it, you will see a confirmation on your screen that says “connected” after a second. It only means that your IOS device has already paired with Sennheiser.
- From your iPhone or Ipad (through the music app), you may start selecting the music you want to play. Then play it; the song will now play on your earbuds.
Reminder: Once your Sennheiser headphones/earbuds have paired on your iPhone or Ipad, you can use them for both playing music and calling.
Pairing steps for an Android unit:
- Just like the general steps on the pairing procedure, turn on the Bluetooth pairing mode on your Sennheiser unit by pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds. (Different models of earbuds/headphones may have slightly different ways of turning on, so be sure to check your particular model).
- Then check your phone screen and go to settings.
- Select “Connected devices” or “Bluetooth settings” from the setting option and set it to ON. Once it is on, your cellphone will scan and detect all devices with Bluetooth open nearby.
- Then you will see on your phone screen the names and codes of all the Bluetooth devices; check for the code or model number of your Sennheiser headphones on the list of the Bluetooth devices that show on your screen. Usually, it goes like “CX 400BT TW.” But if you have yet to see those and are unsure of your unit’s model, check the unit box or the instruction manual. You can see the information there.
- Then once you have seen the model number of your unit or confirmed it, select it by clicking the model number on your phone screen.
- Wait for less than a minute until you hear a beeping sound or prompt that says “pairing successful”, and the indicator light on your headphones will flash blue 3 times. This indicates that the pairing procedure is done successfully.
A successful pairing indicator has yet to show if you have not seen the blue light. It means that the pairing procedure failed. Repeat the same steps you did before.
How to Pair with Televisions (with Built-in Bluetooth feature)
New smart televisions have built-in Bluetooth capability to pair wirelessly with other Bluetooth devices. Your Sennheiser headphones/earbuds can be paired with your Bluetooth smart TV by following the steps below.
- Ensure your Sennheiser device has sufficient power to do the pairing procedure. Then, turn on the Bluetooth pairing mode of your Sennheiser by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds.
- Then proceed to the settings option of your tv and select Bluetooth setting. Turn it On. Once it’s ON, select the “Add a Bluetooth Device” option and choose the model number of your earbuds by highlighting it. Then click on it.
- Please note that for other televisions, it shows “Add an Accessory.” If that is the indicator on your tv screen, it is fine. It’s just the same as “Add a Bluetooth Device.” Choose whichever option applies to your TV. (If your TV doesn’t have an option for “Add an Accessory” or “Add a Bluetooth Device,” you will need to search for how to use the bluetooth connection on your particular TV make/model).
Once you have selected the model number of your Sennheiser headphones on the selection on your tv screen, it will now pair. Your headphone light will flash blue 3 times, indicating that the pairing activity is successful.
How to Pair with Your Laptop or Macbook
For a Macbook, here are the steps
- You will see an apple icon in your Macbook’s top left corner of the screen. Click on that, proceed to “System preference”, and select “Bluetooth”.
- Upon selecting the Bluetooth tab, set the Bluetooth mode to enable.
- On your screen, you will see an indicator that says “Show Bluetooth in the Menu Bar” option. Click on it to select.
- Turn on your earbuds’ pairing mode by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds.
- Then on your Macbook screen, select Bluetooth ON by pressing the button located on the left side (the popup window) portion of your screen.
- Choose the model number of your Sennheiser headphones on the selection that pops up on your Macbook screen. Then click the “Connect” option next to the model number of your device.
Once done, both units should pair. You will notice that the blue light on your headphones will blink 3 times, indicating a successful pairing.
Pairing steps for Windows Laptop Users
- Go to the Window icon and click it. It is located on the lower left portion of your laptop screen in most cases (although it sometimes seems to jump from one corner to the other after you update to a new version!).
- Proceed to the “Settings” or “All Settings” option and select “Devices.”
- Then choose the option “Bluetooth and other devices.” Next, turn on the Bluetooth and click on the “Add Bluetooth or other devices” option.
- A Menu will be opened; select “Bluetooth.”Then set your Sennheiser earbuds to pairing mode by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds.
- You will see your laptop scanning all the Bluetooth devices that are ON. Once you see the model number of your Sennheiser device, click on it. Usually, it goes like “CX 400BT TW.” But if you have yet to see those and are unsure of your unit’s model, check the unit box or the instruction manual. You can see the information there.
- Wait for the blue light on your Sennheiser to blink 3 times. Then start playing the music on your laptop. The audio should now come to your headphones.
If you have already tried all these procedures provided and still need help to get them to work, you can also contact Sennheiser support. Before doing this, it may be prudent to check whether or not your source device (rather than your earbuds) is the problem. To do so, attempt to connect a different bluetooth device to your phone/laptop/iPad.
The use of Bluetooth technology has improved a lot in the past years. It covers several devices, from cell phones and music players to computers and laptops to smart televisions.
Therefore, we can maximize and enjoy the full features of the Sennheiser wireless headphones/earbuds if we can pair them successfully using all the troubleshooting steps provided.