AirTags, Apple’s coin-sized devices to keep tabs on your belongings, are a brilliant piece of tech. But what if they start making uninvited noise?
The constant beeping can be annoying, or even alarming. This guide will navigate you through the reasons and fixes for your AirTag’s beeping mystery.
Quick Fixes for AirTags That Keep Beeping
If your AirTag keeps beeping and you’re looking for quick solutions, here’s a summary of what you can do:
- Out of Range: Your AirTag could be beeping because it’s away from the linked device. Bring your AirTag closer to your device to stop the beeping.
- “Notify When Left Behind”: The beeping might be due to the “Notify When Left Behind” feature. You can disable it in your iPhone settings. Don’t forget to re-enable it when needed!
- Low Battery: The beeping could indicate a low battery. Check the battery status in the Find My app and replace it if needed.
- Outdated iOS: Ensure your device is running on the latest iOS version. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Incorrect Apple ID: Verify that your AirTag is paired with the correct Apple ID on your device.
- Reset Your AirTag: If all else fails, a simple reset may solve the problem. Press and hold the back of the AirTag until you hear a second sound.
- Hardware Issue: If the beeping continues, it might be a hardware issue. Contact Apple Support for further assistance.
These steps should provide a quick guide to resolving the most common causes of a beeping AirTag. For more in-depth instructions and explanations, continue reading below.
AirTag Keeps Beeping: Causes & Fixes
Out of Range [**Most Likely Cause**]
AirTags are designed to beep when they’re away from the device they’re linked to for an extended period. If the beeping is continuous, it could be a sign your AirTag is out of its effective range. Try to bring your AirTag closer to your device to silence the beeps.
Disabling “Notify When Left Behind”
Another reason your AirTags might be beeping could be the “Notify When Left Behind” feature in your iPhone settings. This feature is designed to alert you with sound and notifications when you might be leaving your AirTag behind. If this feature is triggering too frequently or unnecessarily:
- Open the Find My app and tap on the Items tab.
- Select your AirTag and tap on “Item Safety Alerts”.
- Turn off “Notify When Left Behind”.
Remember, disabling this feature means you won’t receive alerts when you move away from your AirTag. Make sure to re-enable it if you want to keep track of your belongings. This could resolve the beeping issue, especially if it seems to be happening when you’re moving around without your AirTag.
A low battery can also cause your AirTag to beep. Apple’s AirTags are designed to deliver over a year’s battery life with everyday use. However, if your AirTag’s battery is nearing its end, it may result in unusual beeping. If you suspect the battery might be the issue:
- Check the battery status in the Find My app. If it’s low, you’ll see a low battery warning.
- If your battery is low or depleted, replace it with a new CR2032 battery.
The good news is that the AirTag has a user-replaceable battery, so you won’t need to make a trip to the Apple Store for this one!
iOS Needs Updating
An outdated iOS might cause problems with your AirTag’s functionality, including unwanted beeping. Make sure your iPhone or iPad is running on the latest iOS version. To do this, head to Settings > General > Software Update.
Incorrect Apple ID
An AirTag might beep if it’s linked to a different Apple ID than the device it’s close to. Ensure your AirTag is paired with the correct Apple ID on your device.
AirTag Needs Resetting
Sometimes, a simple reset can silence a beeping AirTag. To reset, press and hold the back of the AirTag until you hear a sound. After the sound, keep pressing for a few more seconds until you hear another sound, which means your AirTag has been reset.
If your AirTag continues to beep despite trying the above fixes, it may be a hardware issue. In this case, your best bet is to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store.
A beeping AirTag might be an inconvenience, but it’s often a signal from the device about an underlying issue. We’ve provided you with the most common reasons and fixes, but if the beeping persists, it’s recommended to reach out to Apple Support for further help.
Can I turn off the beeping on my AirTag?
Yes, but only temporarily. The sound alerts are a crucial part of the AirTag’s design, meant for security and user-friendliness.
How long will an AirTag beep when it’s out of range?
If an AirTag is separated from its owner, it will start playing a sound after being stationary for a while. This sound will play intermittently until the AirTag is moved or comes back in range with its paired device.
Why is my AirTag beeping even when it’s near my iPhone?
It could be due to an incorrect Apple ID linked to the AirTag or it might need resetting. If the issue persists after trying the fixes, it’s advisable to contact Apple Support.
Can I update the firmware of my AirTag?
As of now, AirTags update automatically when they’re in range of your iPhone. There’s no manual method to update their firmware.
Will resetting my AirTag stop the beeping?
A reset might help if the beeping is due to a minor technical glitch. However, if the beeping continues, there could be a hardware issue, in which case you should contact Apple Support.