The PS5 is loved by gamers for its power and reliability. However, some users report persistent issues where the console randomly turns itself on. This is a common problem but luckily it’s usually easy to fix.
In this guide, we’re going to take a look at the most common reasons behind your PS5 randomly turning itself on. We’ll also detail the best methods for fixing this issue. If you follow these easy steps, you’ll be back to seamless gaming in no time.
Common Reasons Why Your PS5 Turns On By Itself
There are a number of reasons why your PS5 might be turning on by itself. The most common reasons include:
- The rest mode option is activated.
- Your PS5 is connected to your TV via a passthrough device or HDMI. This means it turns on whenever you turn your TV on.
- Your PS5 is turning itself on so that it can download updates or upload data to cloud storage.
- Your PS5 is turning itself on in response to your voice as the voice operation control is enabled.
How To Stop Your PS5 Randomly Turning On By Itself
Fortunately, there are several easy fixes for this issue. Many users report that their PS5 randomly turns itself on but the problem shouldn’t persist if you use the solutions below.
Disable the rest mode setting
The rest mode option has a ‘stay connected to the internet’ feature. This means that the PS5 can turn itself on to upload data to the cloud or download updates. If you disable this then your PS5 will only connect to the internet when you turn the device on.
Here’s how to disable this rest mode feature:
- Open the settings menu and select the ‘system’ option.
- Choose the ‘power saving settings’ option.
- Choose the ‘set features available in rest mode’ option.
- Press the X button twice which will open the rest mode features menu.
- In the rest mode menu, uncheck the box next to ‘stay connected to the internet’. This rest mode feature will now be disabled.
Keep your PS5 up-to-date
It’s important that you keep your PS5 updated. If you miss crucial software updates then this can cause several issues for your console. If your PS5 isn’t updating automatically then you’ll need to install updates manually.
To do this, open the settings menu and choose the ‘system software update’ option. You can then download any available updates from there.
Disable HDMI device link feature
If the HDMI device link option is enabled in your PS5’s settings then it can cause the console to behave in a strange way. When activated, any other devices that are also connected with HDMI can turn on your PS5.
Follow these simple steps to disable the HDMI device link option:
- Open the settings menu.
- Choose the ‘system menu’ option.
- Select the ‘HDMI’ option and then turn off the ‘enable HDMI device link’ option.
- The HDMI link between other devices will now be disabled.
Disable voice operation control
The PS5 has a useful voice operation feature which means that you can turn it on by saying ‘Playstation’. However, this can be an issue if you have any smart speakers in your home as they may keep causing the console to turn on.
To disable this feature:
- Open the settings and choose the ‘system’ option.
- Choose the ‘enable voice operation’ option.
- Uncheck the ‘enable hands-free mode’ option.
- Uncheck the ‘automatically turn on your PS5 when you say “Hello Playstation”‘ option.
Disable remote play
It could be the case that your PS5 is being turned on by another device through the remote play feature. Here’s how to disable the remote play feature:
- Go into your PS5’s settings.
- Choose the ‘system’ option.
- Uncheck the ‘enable remote play’ option.
Change your remote batteries
If you’ve noticed that your PS5 displays the remote icon when it turns itself on then you may need to change your remote’s batteries. Sometimes, low battery power in your remote causes it to send signals to your console that make it turn on.
Disable turning on from network option
Your PS5 can be turned on directly from the Playstation app. This can sometimes cause issues and it might be the reason your console is randomly turning itself on.
Here’s how to disable this option:
- Open the settings on your console.
- Choose the ‘system’ option.
- Choose the ‘power saving’ option.
- This will open the menu for rest mode features.
- Uncheck the ‘turning on PS5 from network’ option.
Why Is The HDMI Not Working?
The most common cause of powering on issues is problems with the PS5’s HDMI. This is often the result of there being dust or dirt in the HDMI port. However, it could also be the case that your HDMI cable is faulty.
How To Fix Your PS5’s HDMI
Examine your HDMI port
Use a flashlight and inspect the PS5’s HDMI port. If it’s dusty then use a soft cloth to clean it out.
This simple step is often enough to fix HDMI link issues. If the HDMI port ejects the HDMI cable when you try to insert it then you may have damaged the pins inside the plug.
If so, you’ll either have to get it fixed or buy a new cable.
Another reason your PS5’s HDMI may not be working is that your TV might not be compatible with HDR. If it isn’t, then follow these steps to disable it:
- Open the PS5’s settings.
- Choose the ‘screen and video’ option.
- Choose the ‘video output’ option.
- Select ‘disable HDR’.
How does remote play work?
The remote play feature for PS5 allows you to use and control your console from different devices including smartphones, PCs, and PS4s. If you have a strong and stable connection to the internet then you can play your PS5 games via your smartphone.
You can do this from different rooms in your house or even whilst you’re away from home.
How do I turn my PS5 off from the app?
If you have the Playstation app on your smartphone then you can use it to turn your PS5 on and off. Here’s how to turn it off:
- Open the PS Remote Play app and choose your console from the options.
- Choose the ‘settings’ option and then choose the ‘disconnect’ option.
To use this feature you need to make sure you’re using the same PSN account on the app that you use for your console.
When should my PS5 be turned off?
If you need to unplug the AC power cable then you should always turn off your PS5 first. If you leave it turned on when you do this then you run the risk of causing damage to the console or data corruption.
Leaving your PS5 turned off when not in use is also a good way to protect it against unexpected power outages. See here for a detailed discussion of the risks of power surges/outages to your PS5, and an answer to the age-old question — can I play my Playstation during a thunderstorm?
The PS5 is a powerful console that’s great for gaming. Still, it can run into a few issues that sometimes make it a bit frustrating to use. Fortunately, if your PS5 is randomly turning itself on, it’s usually really easy to fix.
The two most frequent causes are issues with rest mode and the HDMI device link. Both of these issues can be solved in a matter of minutes.
So, now that you’re up to speed on how to identify and fix this common issue, it’s time to get back to streaming and gaming.
*If you are experiencing the opposite problem — wherein your PS5 is randomly turning off — we also have a guide for you.
Further PS5 Troubleshooting Guides: