In the realm of pro quality audio, there are a number of groundbreaking technologies that have revolutionized the consumer audio landscape.
One of these technologies that has got recent traction from several big audio brands is bone conduction. Bone conduction technology has found widespread application, especially in audio products that focus on fitness.
This is the space where you can find premium products from Shokz, formerly known as Aftershokz.
When it comes to premium audio products focused on fitness or sports use, it is difficult to find a brand as celebrated or popular as Aftershokz. Even for regular consumer use, getting a pair of Aftershokz bone conduction headphones can have a number of important benefits.
Here, we will take a detailed look at the bone conduction technology that powers Aftershokz headphones, explore the product range, and provide an extensive guide on how to pair Aftershokz headphones, no matter which device you use.
Let us first delve into the finer nuances of bone conduction technology and take a look at the product portfolio of the Aftershokz brand.
How to Pair Shokz (Aftershokz) Headphones
Aftershokz headphones leverage Bluetooth technology for wireless audio. The pairing process is quite similar to other Bluetooth devices.
Step 1: Activate Pairing Mode on your Headphones
- If your headphones are fresh out of the box, they’ll already be in pairing mode.
- Otherwise, here’s how to get your headphones into pairing mode:
- Turn your headphones off using the power button.
- Hold the volume up button for about 5-7 seconds.
- The LED light will flash blue and red, and you’ll hear an audio prompt saying “pairing.”
Step 2: Pair your Headphones with your Device
- For Android:
- Go to Bluetooth settings and turn Bluetooth on.
- Search for your headphones and tap on their name to pair.
- For iPhone:
- Enter the Bluetooth settings.
- Scan for your headphones to pair.
- If you’re using the OpenComm headset, you can also pair with Android devices using NFC:
- Ensure your Aftershokz OpenComm is in pairing mode.
- Locate the NFC tag on the left arm of the headphones.
- Bring it close to the NFC region on your Android phone to automatically pair.
Step 3: Pairing with Multiple Devices
- Aftershokz also supports multipoint pairing, allowing you to pair with multiple devices.
- Here’s how to enable Multipoint:
- Put your Aftershokz in pairing mode.
- Hold the volume up button and multifunction button together until you hear a voice prompt saying “multipoint enabled.”
- Pair the first device.
- Turn off your headphones and re-enter pairing mode.
- Pair the second device. You’ll hear an audio prompt saying “device two connected.”
- You can now turn the headphones off.
Note: Multipoint doesn’t allow both devices to connect at the same time. It enables alternating between two devices.
Swift Moves How-To’s:
Understanding Bone Conduction
The Essence of Traditional Headphones
With conventional headphones, sound is produced by drivers and transmitted directly into our ears. This sound is then processed as per our natural hearing mechanism.
The Intricacies of Bone Conduction Technology
Bone conduction headphones, such as Aftershokz, diverge from the traditional path. Instead of sending sound through the ear canal, they deliver it directly to your inner ear, or cochlea, using vibrations. This means your eardrums aren’t required to process the sound. This major difference sets apart bone conduction from ear conduction.
The Pioneering Role of Aftershokz
Aftershokz has led the way in applying and enhancing bone conduction technology, without compromising quality or usability. The brand’s headphones utilize bone conduction while maintaining excellent audio quality.
The Role of Transducers in Aftershokz Headphones
Traditional earphones use sound drivers, while Aftershokz opts for transducers that create vibrations. These transducers are carefully calibrated and positioned exactly above the cheekbones on either side of the head. By using titanium, a lightweight, durable material perfect for conducting sound vibrations, these headphones deliver high-quality audio.
How Does Sound Reach Your Ears?
The transducers create vibrations that are transmitted to your cheekbones and then to your inner ear, where they’re perceived as sound.
What Sets Aftershokz Apart?
- Comfort and Security: The design of Aftershokz headphones allows for a snug fit, making them ideal for sports activities. They stay in place during vigorous movements, providing a consistent audio experience.
- Hygiene Advantage: Traditional earphones can pose a risk of infection due to the continuous contact with the ear canal. As Aftershokz headphones never enter the ears, they are more hygienic and easier to clean.
- Enhanced Safety and Communication: With traditional headphones, ambient sounds are often blocked, which could be hazardous, especially while outdoors. Aftershokz’s open-ear design lets you hear surrounding sounds, ensuring safety and effective communication. Whether you’re working out with partners, at home with family, or at work, you won’t miss any important sounds around you.
The Aftershokz Range
The Aftershokz range of headphones comes with many different models, focused towards different use cases, all using their excellent implementation of bone conduction audio technology.
The Sports range currently features three models, starting with the budget OpenMove unit. This is followed by the mid-range OpenRun and the premium OpenRun Pro. The Pro model has all the latest features and the ninth iteration of the excellent bone conduction technology powered by Aftershokz.
In addition, Aftershokz also makes the OpenComm, a communications device that features a directional, adjustable microphone and NFC pairing. Another interesting offering that also uses bone conduction is the OpenSwim, a pair of headphones with MP3 playing capabilities that is intended for use while swimming.
While there might be subtle differences between the models in terms of audio quality due to the more recent models receiving updates to the core bone conduction technology, Aftershokz headphones are generally considered the benchmark when you consider consumer-grade bone conduction headphones. Especially for sports use, these headphones are much sought-after due to their excellent build quality and high-fidelity audio.
Apart from the OpenSwim, all other Aftershokz products use Bluetooth to achieve a wireless audio connection. The pairing process has been detailed in the following section.
Aftershokz headphones provide excellent audio quality, great durability, and reliable performance using bone conduction technology.
With this guide, you should be able to successfully pair your Aftershokz headphones with your device of choice. You will also learn more about bone conduction technology and the Aftershokz line of products.
With this information, you get to enjoy the best performance and utility from your pair of Aftershokz headphones.
How does bone conduction technology work in Aftershokz headphones?
Bone conduction technology in Aftershokz headphones works by bypassing the eardrum and delivering sound directly to the inner ear (cochlea) via vibrations. These vibrations are created by transducers located on the headphones, which sit above your cheekbones. The vibrations are transmitted through your cheekbones to your inner ear, where they’re perceived as sound.
What makes Aftershokz headphones ideal for fitness activities?
Aftershokz headphones are ideal for fitness activities for several reasons. First, their design allows for a snug fit, minimizing the risk of falling out during vigorous movements. Second, they leave the ear canal open, so you can hear ambient sounds and stay safe during outdoor workouts. Additionally, as they do not enter the ear, they pose less risk of ear infections, making them a more hygienic choice.
How can I pair my Aftershokz headphones with multiple devices?
Aftershokz headphones support multipoint pairing, allowing them to be paired with more than one device. To enable this, you need to put your headphones in pairing mode and hold the volume up button and the multifunction button together until you hear the voice prompt “multipoint enabled”. You can then pair the first device, turn off your headphones, and re-enter pairing mode to pair the second device. Note that this does not allow both devices to be connected simultaneously; instead, it allows you to switch between devices.