JBL has long been one of the best brands for getting crisp, clear audio quality without having to spend unbelievable sums of money. Their earbuds are another example of this philosophy that has placed them at the forefront of the audio equipment industry.
JBL has made all of their earbuds almost universal in their user interface making it quite easy for people to work out their Bluetooth pairing regardless of whichever earbuds they have purchased. In this article, we will go over how to pair JBL earbuds for iOS and Android devices, Televisions, MacBooks, and even laptops.
First things first you should only pair your earbuds when they have reached a complete charge if it is your first time pairing them.
- Turn on your earbuds if they haven’t turned on automatically and activate the Bluetooth pairing mode. For most earbuds, this will be indicated by a blinking blue light on the earbud.
- Bluetooth mode can be activated by a dedicated Bluetooth button on your earbuds or by holding down the center button for five seconds until it shuts off, then turning your headphones back on.
- When your earbud is blinking blue, it is in pairing mode.
- On the device you wish to pair it with, make sure that the Bluetooth capabilities are toggled on and its actively searching for new Bluetooth connections.
- The JBL earbuds should show up in your list of selectable Bluetooth options if it hasn’t automatically connected already.
- Once you have completed this process, your headphones should be stored in the Bluetooth options of your preferred device.
If you are having difficulty getting pairing mode to start on your earbuds, hold the middle button on the right earbud for five seconds until it turns off. When it turns on it should be in pairing mode.
Some JBL earbuds will not have a Bluetooth button but they should have a center button in the middle of the volume buttons, hold this to begin pairing.
Despite the different user interfaces that Android and Apple phones utilize, getting Bluetooth to work is about the same process, give or take. This should cover both conclusively and typically speaking once you do this your phone should remember the headphones indefinitely.
- Remove one of the earbuds (preferably the right) from the case to start pairing or press the center button to turn it off and on to force start Bluetooth pairing. Some earbuds will have a Bluetooth button you can press to initiate pairing.
- For iOS, go into Settings > Bluetooth and then enable Bluetooth. For Android, access settings via the dropdown menu (Swiping your finger downwards on the screen) or through the settings button in your apps. From there, go to Connections > Bluetooth and enable Bluetooth.
- Start searching for new Bluetooth devices and select your JBL earbuds from the dropdown menu (For Android this will likely be in available devices).
- Your earbud should now be connected to your phone and once you remove your other earbud it will automatically connect to the other.
You should check if your television has Bluetooth capabilities when trying to pair with JBL earbuds to avoid the headache of an unfortunate realization later down the road. More and more televisions are getting this option in recent years but it certainly isn’t a universal function.
If your television does not have Bluetooth capabilities there are a number of quality Bluetooth adapters on the market.
- Turn on your pairing mode on your JBL earbuds. This could be a dedicated button or simply by pressing the middle button on the headphones for five seconds then turning it back on.
- Your headphones will be blinking blue if they are in pairing mode.
- Go into your setting menus on your Television and locate the Bluetooth menu.
- There should be a scan option or “search for new Bluetooth devices”. Whichever it is, click it and wait for your JBL earbuds to show up in available pairings or available devices.
- After a few moments of connecting (make sure they are the two devices aren’t obstructed or too far apart) your TV should pair successfully with your earbuds!
Unlike iOS and Android device, the process of activating Bluetooth on a laptop and MacBook are a bit different. They differ in ways that have less to do with how to pair the earbuds and more to do with the difference in operating systems. We will go over both separately to avoid any confusion and make the directions as concise and understandable as possible.
- In the top left corner of your screen, there is an apple icon. Click on it then go to System Preferences > Bluetooth.
- In the new tab, enable Bluetooth mode.
- There will be a “Show Bluetooth in the menu bar” option, select it.
- Now remove your earbuds from the charging case and turn on Bluetooth mode. Depending on which type of JBL earbuds you have, this can be done by hitting the Bluetooth button or holding down the center button for five seconds then turning the headphones back on.
- From the list of available choices, you should see your JBL earbuds, select them and wait for the pairing to complete!
- Make sure your JBL earbuds have their pairing on, turn this on with the Bluetooth button or by pressing the center button for five seconds, which will turn them off, and then pressing the center button again to turn them on.
- They will be blinking blue when they are pairing.
- Go to Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices
- Enable Bluetooth and then click on the “+” sign at the top of the tab.
- Ignore the lower two options and select Bluetooth.
- Your JBL headphones should show up and after selecting them, connect to your laptop.
Bluetooth has become increasingly versatile over the years and with the ease of use that JBL headphones offer it has never been easier to take advantage of it! Once you connect your earbuds to a device they should stay in the Bluetooth memory so you never have to worry about the process again.